Nov 25, 2016
: Episode 711 - Vinnie speaks with special guests writer &
director Jim Abrahams (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc) and author Susan
Masino talk about fighting seizures with a ketogenic diet.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
JIM ABRAHAMS AND SUSAN MASINO
- Susan is a luminary
- Was on the podcast a few weeks ago
- She is a professor of Applied Science at Trinity College
- Has been conducting research there for two decades
- Has been doing research, in general, for even longer!
- Focus is adenosine and its effects on homeostasis and
- Regulator of cell function
- Her real passion is brain health
- She is now connected to the ketogenic community and the brain
- Jim Abrahams is a famous director and screen-writer
- Movies such as Airplane!, Hot Shots!, and many more!
- 1971, he and the Zucker brothers moved to LA to try to get on
- From Milwaukee
- The three ended up being huge in the industry!
- Started The
- Jim Abrahams' son, Charlie, suffered from seizures
- Charlie adopted a ketogenic diet, and is seizure free!
- The Charlie Foundation was set up to help fight epilepsy via a
- Check out the
Foundation's website here
- Susan Masino does believe that a ketogenic diet is incredibly
- Her goal is to figure out how this diet can help not only
epilepsy, but other diseases
- For example, autism spectrum disorder
- Used as a treatment for epilepsy for 100 years now
- Her hypothesis: Ketone-based metabolism increases adenosine
which increases brain health and homeostasis
- In turn, this helps neurological disorders such as
- Healthy metabolism (sufficient amount of ATP) is so vital
- Ketogenic diet increases ATP produced
- Your brain can use KETONES instead of sugar
for its overall metabolic demand
- Plus, you have plenty enough sugar in NSNG diet