Jan 13, 2019
: Episode 1233 - This Sunday, we take a look back at one of
Vinnie's fantastic luminary podcasts, his second interview with Dr.
Shawn Baker recorded early last year. This podcast is particularly
relevant to the upcoming Fat Doc, as part of the
discussion in the documentary focuses on the vilification of red
meat and animal fat in general.
Shawn Baker joins Vinnie, and the two incredibly healthy meat
eaters discuss all-meat (carnivore) diets, benefits of eating
animal fat, hate mail, the myth that we need carbs, and more!
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
- Shawn has only had coffee a handful of times
- Tried Vinnie's coffee, his first coffee in the last 15
- Shawn is a doctor (a surgeon, in fact), and also quite the
- Bit of a world famous rower
- Broke an indoor rowing record recently
- Continues to beat Concept 2 records
- He is 51 and the 20-somethings have trouble keeping up with
- 772 lb dead lift
- Drug free organization
- About 20 years ago
- Discus/track & field champion
- Agrees that you do not need to carbo load before working out or
- Shawn eats meat - ALL the time!
- Also tries to fight Bro Science in nutrition and sports
- Those who say "don't eat too much meat" are well-intentioned
- This research is based on bad science
- Ignore the fact that CARBS might be making these peoples'
- Shawn has muscles for days
- He is also in peak health condition
- Part of the "zero carb" movement
- Shawn definitely does receive hate mail
- It's pretty polarizing, but he tries to laugh about it
- If you tell people we should eat meat like we have been for the
last millions of years, people attack you!
- The epidemiology that says eggs and meat will give you disease
is awful work
- The research that "supports" such hypotheses is cherry-picked
and ignores variables that actually cause disease, such as sugar
intake and the like
- No direct association
- Ex: you get a sunburn from eating ice cream
- Our bodies do not require carbs
- Our body can turn fats and proteins into glucose
- Fiber is also not a necessity
- Can be helpful depending on what your diet looks
- Fun fact: Shawn has smaller bowel movements, as do most who are
low/no-carb because you are using up more of your nutritious food,
and there is less waste!